NAVLE Scheduling and Admission Permits
Prometric Appointment Scheduling
Testing Center Admittance
Updated April 30, 2015
Numbers you will use during the NAVLE process include:
- NAVID (NAVLE identification number) - Your NAVID is a unique identifier assigned to you by the NBVME. The NBVME will e-mail your NAVID to you when your NAVLE application is received. Your NAVID is required to access your online Scheduling and Admission Permit, and for some candidates, to access your pass/fail information online when scores become available.
- Scheduling Number - Your Scheduling Number is located on your Scheduling and Admission Permit and is required to schedule your testing appointment with Prometric.
- Confirmation Number - Prometric will provide your Confirmation Number to you when you schedule your testing appointment. You should record this number in the specified area on the bottom of your permit because it is required to confirm and/or reschedule your testing appointment. The NBVME does not have access to your Confirmation Number.
- Candidate Identification Number (CIN) - Your CIN is located on your Scheduling and Admission Permit and is required to access your examination at the Prometric center on the day you test. Prometric does not have access to these numbers, so if you do not have your Scheduling and Admission Permit with you on your scheduled test day, you will not be admitted to the Prometric testing center and will not be able to take the NAVLE.
NAVLE Scheduling and Admission Permits
Your Scheduling and Admission Permit contains information necessary for both appointment scheduling and for accessing your examination at the Prometric center on the day you test.
- Permit Availability / E-mail Notification - Candidates who meet the NAVLE application and eligibility requirements, and who are approved by a licensing entity to take the examination for a specified NAVLE testing window, will be issued a NAVLE Scheduling and Admission Permit approximately 45 days prior to the opening of that testing window (usually late September for the November-December window, and late February for the April window). When permits are available, the NBVME will send approved NAVLE candidates an e-mail message with instructions on how to access and print their Scheduling and Admission Permit online. If you are an approved candidate and do not receive this e-mail message by September 25 for the November-December NAVLE, and February 27 for the April NAVLE, you should contact the NBVME immediately.
- Access, print and save your Scheduling and Admission Permit - Access the URL provided in the NBVME e-mail instructions, enter your NAVID and date of birth, and access your permit. You should save a copy of your permit on your computer. You must print your permit because you will need the information it contains to schedule your testing appointment, and you must have your printed permit with you or present it electronically (e.g. via smartphone) when arriving at the Prometric testing center or you will not be allowed to test.
- Verify your name - Review your first and last names on your permit and compare them to your first and last names as listed on the government-issued, signed, photo identification (e.g., driver's license or passport) you plan to use for admission into the testing center on the day you take your NAVLE. Your first and last names on your permit must exactly match your first and last names on your ID or you will not be allowed to test.
- Name mismatch - If your ID and permit names do not match, contact the NBVME immediately to get your record corrected, because a revised permit will need to be processed for you. Even if the names do not match, you should still contact Prometric to schedule your examination using the Scheduling Number on your originally issued permit. Once your revised permit is available, you will be notified by e-mail message, and you can then access and print your revised permit, which you will need with you for admittance to the testing center.
- Anticipated name change - If you anticipate a name change prior to your test date, such as due to a change in marital status, be aware that whatever name appears on your ID must be the same name that appears on your permit. You will not be admitted to the testing center if there is a name mismatch.
- Name corrections - Name changes or corrections cannot be made within 7 business days of a scheduled testing date.
- Verify your testing region - You are required to enter your chosen testing region location when you submit your NAVLE application #1, and that information is incorporated into your eligibility record. Prometric will not allow you to make a testing appointment at a location outside your chosen testing region.
- Permit parameters - Scheduling and Admission Permits are valid only for the dates listed on the permit for a single NAVLE testing window.
- Confidentiality - Scheduling and Admission Permits are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual candidate named on the permit. If you access a permit and are not the named candidate, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action regarding the permit contents.
- Sample NAVLE Scheduling and Admission Permit - A sample of the NAVLE Scheduling and Admission Permit is available in pdf format by clicking on the link below:
Sample NAVLE Scheduling and Admission Permit
NAVLE Scheduling and Admission Permits are issued in English for all approved NAVLE candidates. The Canadian National Examining Board will make available a copy of the sample NAVLE permit, translated into French, on the NEB website.
Prometric Appointment Scheduling and Confirmation Process
The NAVLE is administered in Prometric Test Centers in the U.S., U.S. Territories, and Canada, and at selected overseas Prometric Testing Centers in Africa, Asia, Australia/New Zealand, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East. For additional information on available testing centers within these testing regions, please refer to the Prometric website: www.prometric.com/NBVME.
- Schedule a test date - Record your Confirmation Number
- Permit required for scheduling - To schedule your testing appointment you must access and print your online Scheduling and Admission Permit, because it contains a unique scheduling number which is required during the Prometric scheduling process.
- Schedule early - Schedule your testing appointment with Prometric when you are notified of your permit availability. Appointment are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, so if you delay scheduling an appointment, you may not receive the location or test date you prefer. Additional scheduling information can be found in the NAVLE Candidate Bulletin.
- Prometric scheduling - Contact Prometric to schedule your testing appointment, either online at www.prometric.com/NBVME, or by calling the Prometric phone number indicated on your permit. You must provide the scheduling number located on the upper left portion of your permit.
- Candidates with documented disabilities - Candidates who have been granted test accommodations will have special information on their permit and must call Prometric to schedule their testing appointment. They do not have the option to schedule online through the Prometric website.
- Online scheduling instructions - For candidates scheduling online, go to: www.prometric.com/NBVME. The "Test Sponsor" listed on the page should be National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners.
- Prometric scheduling problems - If the Prometric system does not accept your scheduling number, please ensure that the test sponsor shown on the Prometric website is the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners, and make sure you are entering your scheduling number, and not your NAVID (NAVLE identification number).
- Record your Prometric confirmation number - Prometric will provide you a confirmation number at the time you schedule your testing appointment. Record this number in the designated area on the bottom of your printed Scheduling and Admission Permit. The NBVME does not have access to your confirmation number, and you will need it later to confirm your appointment.
- Confirm your testing appointment one week prior to your scheduled test date - You can confirm your testing appointment with Prometric, either online or by telephone. You will be required to provide your confirmation number issued to you by Prometric when you originally scheduled your appointment.
- Changing your test date or location
- Rescheduling guidelines - If you are unable to keep your testing appointment on your scheduled date or at your scheduled location, you may change your date or location within that testing window and within your chosen testing region by contacting Prometric online or by telephone. You will be required to provide your Prometric confirmation number when you reschedule.
- Two business days notice required - A request to reschedule a testing appointment must be made by noon local time at least two business days before your scheduled appointment. When contacting Prometric by telephone to reschedule, you must speak with a representative. Leaving a voice mail message does not satisfy the requirement to provide advance notice.
- Reset required for rescheduling less than two days before test date - If you need to reschedule your appointment but cannot provide at least two business days' notice, you must contact the NBVME for further information. You will be charged a rescheduling fee and will have to wait for your eligibility to be reset before you can reschedule your appointment. Having your eligibility reset does not guarantee an opening will be available within the testing window.
- Testing region change requests - If you need to change your testing region, a new Scheduling and Admission Permit must be processed for you and you will be assessed additional fees. Seat availability is not guaranteed. Contact the NBVME for further information.
Requirements for Admittance to the Prometric Testing Center
- Arrive at the Prometric Testing Center 30 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Printed Scheduling and Admission Permit required - You must have your printed Scheduling and Admission Permit with you for admittance into the testing center. You must print your permit prior to appearing at the Prometric testing center, and have it with you on the day you test, because permits cannot be printed at the testing center, and the NBVME will not provide a faxed copy on the day of your examination. The Candidate Identification Number (CIN) on your permit is required to access your examination at the Prometric site.
- Identification requirements
- Current ID required - Your government-issued identification must be current on the day you are scheduled to take the NAVLE. If your ID is expired, you will not be admitted to the Prometric testing center.
- Photograph and signature required on ID - Your government-issued photo identification must contain your photograph and signature, or you will not be admitted to the Prometric testing center. Commonly used IDs include a driver's license or passport. If your driver's license does not contain a photo, Prometric will not accept it for admission to the NAVLE. Check with your state or provincial government for options regarding a government-issued identification containing a photo and signature.
- ID and permit names must match - The first and last names on your identification must exactly match the first and last names on your Scheduling and Admission Permit. The only acceptable difference is the presence of a middle name, middle initial or suffix on one document and its absence on the other.
- Prometric procedures for the NAVLE - For additional information on procedures followed at Prometric Test Centers, click on the link below:
Procedures followed at the Prometric Testing Center for the NAVLE administration (pdf)